Carrot Relish

Yum!  It is that time of year for canning and preserving all those yummy things that come from my garden.  Recently the carrots started coming with a flourish so I decided to make one of my favorite relishes... carrot relish.  It is a sweet relish (as you can tell from the 6 cups of sugar in the recipe) that I love on hotdogs. While making the relish I am reminded of my Grandma, cause my mother says that is where the recipe came from.   Grandma died a little over a year ago, and while I didn't get to see her often, I still miss her.  She was a very strong and independent type of woman who was the oldest of twelve children.  She loved to dance, she loved the Lord and she loved her family with a fierceness that was all her own.  I was able to be there when she passed and sing her into glory with "Amazing Grace."  Anywho, I digress, again.... Carrot Relish... it is yummy.... go make some...



Carrot Relish
6 large green tomatoes (I just grabbed a bunch of green tomatoes from my garden)
6 large carrots (I used a whole bunch of small carrots from my garden)
6 large onions (I only used 3 BIG onions)
2 red peppers
6 cups sugar
6 oz jar of yellow mustard
1 pt and 1 cup white vinegar
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup flour (I used cornstarch so it would be gluten free)

Grind tomatoes, carrots, onions and peppers in food processor.  Add 5 cups sugar, mustard, 1 pint vinegar, and salt.  Cook 15-20 minutes.  Mix 1 cup vinegar, flour, and 1 cup sugar and cook until thickened and bubbly, about 1/2 hour.  Process in jars.

No comments:

Around KJ's Table: September 5th- September 11th

 Let's start out with a moment to remember It was also the first day of school this week: And back to prep-ahead meals since all my cook...